Job Description Summary
The Software Engineer is responsible for software design and development of components for new STEMCELL instruments from requirements gathering through to transfer to manufacturing in compliance with ISO 13485, in addition to contributing to ongoing development, design and continuous improvement of existing STEMCELL instruments.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic team delivering advancements in laboratory automation and integration to worldwide customers. You will be responsible for designing, expanding and continuously driving innovation of our software and instrumentation products. As Canada’s largest biotechnology company, STEMCELL Technologies Inc. provides leading-edge instrument and reagent solutions that drive our customers' research at the forefront of science. This role provides an opportunity to contribute in design innovation and ground breaking work for our customers, as well as maintaining our leadership presence in the life sciences industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the design, documentation and delivery of new software components for STEMCELL’s laboratory automation instruments.
- Develop modules including requirements and specifications, verify performance and present design reviews factoring the product life cycle such as manufacturing, service, troubleshooting, upgrades, backwards compatibility and obsolescence.
- Develop test protocols, conduct data analysis, contribute to risk assessments and make recommendations to mitigate those risks.
- Design, write, maintain, test, debug and delivery code in meeting established standards on Linux, Windows and mobile platforms.
- Conduct analysis to identify and resolve bugs or issues and escalate any failure modes focusing on continuous improvement to achieve quality standards, meet/exceed project milestones, minimize costs and increase performance.
- Mapping of user interfaces and workflow requirements with (multiple) stakeholders, including Prototype UI workflows and iteration through designs based on stakeholder feedback.
- Implement software graphical user interfaces (GUIs), including the improvement of existing GUIs to conform to industry-defined best practices.
- Evaluate and resolve factors affecting the software development life cycle for instrumentation products including but not limited to: potential risks, testability, reliability, maintainability, software upgrades and compatibility.
- Support the implementation of new capabilities for existing platforms, troubleshoot and make recommendations to resolve as required.
- Document and maintain records of the design, specifications, protocols, procedures, analysis and testing. Present results and recommendations to the team according to company and QMS standards.
- Participate in Quality Management Systems (QMS) initiatives and adhere to QMS requirements.
- Bachelor degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- 3 to 7 years of industry experience in software development.
- Linux, Windows, OSX and mobile development experience.
- Strong experience with development in C.
- Solid knowledge of Object-Oriented Languages (C#, Python, C++, Swift, Java, Obj-C).
- Good understanding and experience in using programming patterns.
- Experience in full life cycle of software development, including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with source code versioning tools, particularly Git.
- Experience in the development of modular systems and memory management.
- Strong knowledge of multi-threaded operating systems, applications and concepts.
- Working knowledge of algorithm design and complexity analysis.
- Experience in creating database applications.
- Experience with Agile software development practices.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with a systematic analytical approach.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both in one-on-one and group settings.
- Team-oriented yet self-motivated.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency in time management.
- Hands-on experience with TCP/IP networking, industrial communication protocols (i.e. Modbus, OPC, EthernetIP) and vision algorithms are considered as assets.
- Web development experience is an asset.
- Experience in using Vapor or Perfect is an asset.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) is an asset.
- Code viewed on GitHub is a huge plus.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!