STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 950 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
The Scientist is responsible in providing scientific and technical leadership in the development of a product line(s) and serves as the in-house expert within the relevant scientific field of Immunology within the Research and Development department at STEMCELL. Through innovation, the Scientist will advance the long-term success of the product line(s) in current and emerging markets. This role will provide technical support to customers and share expertise with other departments. The Scientist is a scientific ambassador for the company in addition to having successful collaborations with external researchers and partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully responsible for a product line(s) including performance criteria, research plan, project planning, reporting, quality of experimental design, launch, technical support, and generation of technical documentation
- Draft and present New Product Proposals (NPPs) to position new technologies
- Independently identify and execute product and process improvement projects for the product line(s)
- Work with Business Development to evaluate new technologies, generate intellectual property, and assist in writing patents
- Work with Strategic Marketing to identify customer needs for new products by remaining current with cutting edge technologies, applications and trends; draft business plans and/or NPPs as required
- Track and analyze competitor activity; prepare and present competitor analysis reports
- Perform literature and patent searches to identify new technologies and scientific trends
- Contribute to grant funding submissions; establish and manage external collaborations
- Provide input for producing training material and participate in product training as needed
- Responsible for adhering to project research budget and reporting on status as required
- Participate and adhere to Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and requirements
- Deliver external presentations; publish abstracts and articles
- Establish required internal and external collaborations to successfully execute projects
- Supervise a team of 1 or more laboratory staff
- PhD with at least 1 year of relevant experience or post-doctoral training in immunology.
- An independent researcher with product development and/or technology development experience
- Knowledge and practical experience of STEMCELL products are assets
- First author of academic publications or equivalent research reports; proven history of innovation
- Established scientific reputation in the field as well as successful external collaborations
- Proven record of complex experimental design and execution; demonstrated ability to apply appropriate statistical analyses
- Broad technical expertise and knowledge of diverse laboratory techniques; proven experience training personnel on laboratory techniques and protocols
- Skilled presenter able to deliver technical summaries of data
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management
- Team orientated –‘one-team’ behaviors is a must
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.