STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 950 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
Currently we have an opening for a Research Technologist, Pluripotent Stem Cell Biology to work on a part-time basis (maximum of 20 hours per week) located in our Vancouver office. You will be required to work over the weekends on a consistent basis -- if you're seeking an unconventional work schedule that includes weekend work, this role may be the right fit for you!
This part-time position will be responsible for supporting groups working on the development, testing and analysis of media and substrates for human pluripotent stem cell maintenance and differentiation. The work will be extremely collaborative and team-based, and requires a high level of organization and communication with diverse groups across the department. As an in-house expert in cell culture for pluripotent stem cell biology, the Research Technologist will be responsible for documentation, data analysis and reporting, communication of any complications, and troubleshooting. They will be responsible for maintaining written records of laboratory procedures, experimental results and all lab work according to company standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for performing and supporting all experiments designed with supervisor input, including testing novel technologies in house for maintenance of pluripotent stem cells
- Responsible for organizing and managing schedule of diverse experiments and tasks
- Communicates with team members
- Performs data analysis and calculations independently
- Troubleshoots experiments, identifies abnormal or unexpected trends in data
- Validates new products and new product components
- Supports Quality initiatives
- Mandatory weekend work (Saturday and/or Sunday) will be required
- BSc in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry or related field with experience in cell biology
- Knowledgeable in a specific field related to stem cell biology
- Skilled in mammalian cell culture; specific experience with human/mouse pluripotent stem cells is an asset
- Works well in a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills both one-on-one and in a group setting
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, with good attention to detail
- Skilled in wide range of laboratory techniques and analytical instrumentation
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology techniques including quantitative PCR, immunocytochemistry, microscopy, immunoblotting, transfection, and flow cytometry is an asset
- Experienced in performing independent laboratory research
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.