Research Technologist, Hematopoietic
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
The Research Technologist, Hematopoietic is responsible for testing new and existing products, product components, competing products and platform technologies for the assigned Team in the Research and Development (R&D) department at STEMCELL.
This position will be responsible for developing reagents for the culture and assay of human and mouse hematopoietic (blood and bone marrow) cells including stem/progenitor and mature cells. This role involves independently performing and troubleshooting experiments with appropriate controls, conducting data analysis, maintaining accurate written records of laboratory procedures, providing regular reporting of experimental results, contributing to technical product documentation, literature reviews and basic experimental design with input from the supervisor. This role contributes to the general functioning of the R&D laboratory and conducts all lab work according to company standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and perform experiments with input from supervisor
- Document experimental observations, perform data analysis and calculations, and summarize findings with guidance from supervisor
- Troubleshoot experiments and review results with supervisor
- Present data at R&D data meetings, provide conclusions and future plans as directed by supervisor
- Perform laboratory procedures as requested (e.g. inventory of supplies, waste disposal, and safety measures)
- Validates new products and new product components
- Tracks competitor activity and discusses relevance with supervisor
- Sources new product components and technologies
- May provide training on laboratory/product protocols to internal employees
- Support Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and adhere to QMS requirements, including maintenance of a detailed and accurate laboratory notebook
- Occasional weekend work (Saturday and/or Sunday) may be required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BSc. in Cell Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry or related area
- At least 1 year of relevant experience performing laboratory experiments
- Is skilled in a wide range of laboratory techniques and analytical instrumentation
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry, microscopy and other laboratory techniques
- Experience with the culture of immune cells and relevant functional assays, as well as with hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell biology desired
- Experience with statistical analyses of biological data is an asset
- Knowledge of STEMCELL products is not an absolute requirement but highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management
- Team orientated – ‘one-team’ behavior is a must
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!