Job Description Summary
The Procurement Manager will work within the Procurement team to oversee STEMCELL’s non-production purchasing activities and supplier management program. The Procurement Manager will work closely with STEMCELL’s internal teams to ensure the effective procurement of consumables supply for development, testing, and other day to day operations. The Procurement Manager will also be responsible for STEMCELL’s supplier management program. This is a developing role within the Procurement team, with the opportunity to formalize into a Procurement Operations Management role and help shape STEMCELL’s Procurement organization of the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as an ambassador of Procurement at STEMCELL; represent Procurement in cross-functional meetings and projects; act as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert for Procurement activities; ensure cross-functional stakeholder engagement in Procurement activities by facilitating a culture of collaboration and responsiveness; work within the Procurement team to improve existing functions and to develop new areas of responsibility
- Manage a sub-team of buyers within Procurement and oversee indirect purchases through all aspects, from requisition to delivery; assist internal customers on general inquiries, deliverables pertaining to placed orders, and invoice reconciliation
- Work closely with Finance, Program Management, Information Systems, Supply Chain, Research & Development, Technical Operations, Quality, Custom Service, and Corporate Affairs on identifying improvements for the purchasing process
- Oversee and/or lead purchasing process and systems improvement initiatives
- Support operationalization of contract terms by ensuring their application to purchases and evaluating supplier spend on a routine basis to ensure adherence to tiered contract terms
- Manage a sub-team of purchasing assistants responsible for supplier account creation and verification, as well as, maintenance of STEMCELL’s master supplier database in SAP
- Create a Supplier Performance Management program within Procurement to track and report on supplier performance
- Work closely with STEMCELL’s Quality, Finance, Information Systems and Master Data teams to identify areas of improvements for STEMCELL’s Supplier Management Program
- Oversee and/or lead supplier management process and systems improvement initiatives
- Mentor and train direct reports through conducting regular one on one meetings, goal and milestone setting and quarterly performance reviews
- Create and maintain KPIs for team performance to forecast capacity constraints and routinely communicate constraints to Procurement management
- Create and manage content for departmental websites, purchasing and supplier management documentation (policies, SOPs and work instructions)
- Create a training program to ensure that the Procurement team receives the required training to execute on purchasing and other Procurement responsibilities
- Create a training program for internal customers on how to initiate a purchase or a supplier creation request
- Work closely with the Director of Global Procurement to build the Procurement infrastructure required to support STEMCELL’s growth
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in relevant discipline
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in a procurement, sales or supply chain operations discipline
- Work experience should demonstrate a progression of responsibilities and knowledge
- Knowledge and experience in the Biotechnology market segment is an asset
- Strong analytical skills and comfort with identifying data needs and sources; extensive experience with Microsoft Excel is required
- Experience with SAP, and familiarity with R+ or demand driven operating systems is an asset
- Exposure to ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 quality management systems and cGMPs is an asset
- Strong focus on continuous improvement is required
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills is required
- Capable of working effectively in multidisciplinary teams and delivering complex objectives under aggressive timelines
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!