Synthetic Organic Chemist
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
This is a wonderful opportunity to join one of Canada’s leading biotechnology companies and help it build new, strategic capabilities in synthetic organic chemistry. Become the first synthetic organic chemist at STEMCELL focused on the preparation and purification of small molecules primarily for use in cell culture maintenance and differentiation media.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with other R&D teams, design and synthesize novel small molecules with improved chemical and biological properties for use in cell culture media and other applications.
- Optimize literature procedures for the manufacture of small molecules (typically on a 1-25g scale) for use in manufacturing media and other products.
- Prepare Standard Operating Procedures for the preparation and characterization of small molecules used in manufacturing.
- Evaluate the progression of multistep chemical synthesis using NMR, MS, and other analytical techniques as appropriate.
- Purify and fully characterize small molecules as needed to meet a predetermined set of specifications.
- Become a leading authority in the application of small molecules for use in cell culture and differentiation. Help design product portfolios, launch new products and assist in managing our small molecule suppliers.
- Lead the design and set-up of our new synthetic organic chemistry facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry or a related field.
- 3-5 years experience synthesizing small molecules in an industrial or academic setting.
- In-depth understanding of synthetic organic chemistry transformations and their application to the design and execution of multistep synthetic routes to novel compounds.
- Working knowledge of common analytical techniques used to characterize small molecules such as NMR, MS, and IR analysis.
- Basic understanding of cell biology, how small molecules interact with and can be used to regulate enzymes, receptors and biological systems.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, requiring significant cross-functional coordination and teamwork.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!