Scientist, Nanomaterials Analytical Chemistry
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
The Scientist is responsible in providing scientific and technical leadership in the development of the assigned product line(s) and serves as the in-house expert within the scientific field of nanoparticle synthesis and material characterization in the Research and Development (R&D) Department. Through innovation, the Scientist advances the long-term success of the product line(s) in current and emerging markets.
This role advances STEMCELL’s long-term success in current and emerging markets through product and technological innovation. With an established reputation within the scientific community, the Scientist serves as a scientific ambassador of the company to drive and leverage collaborations with external researchers and partners, and internally by sharing their expertise and interfacing closely with other departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully responsible for assigned product line(s)
- Develop analytical methods for nanoparticle synthesis and material characterization.
- Set performance criteria, quality of experimental design, project planning, product optimization, and launch.
- Identify and execute product and process improvement projects.
- Generate technical documentation and provide pre- and post-product launch support.
- Review marketing analyses, cutting edge technologies, product lifecycle management and future trends to identify customer needs: Present New Product Proposals (NPPs), Evaluate new technologies independently or with the Business Development Team, Generate intellectual property, Assist in writing patent applications, Perform literature and patent searches to identify new technologies and scientific trends.
- Keep abreast of competitor activities, regularly present competitor analysis reports, and recommend new product development ideas to counter potential competitor threats.
- Establish the required internal and external collaborations to successfully execute projects, initiatives, services and department goals.
- Contribute to sourcing grant funding opportunities and drafting grant applications.
- As a scientific ambassador of the company, deliver superior quality presentations to internal and external audiences, and publish abstracts, posters and articles.
- In collaboration with the Education Team, provide input for training material and participate in the product training sessions as needed.
- Adhere to the Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and requirements.
- Lead, manage, coach and mentor a team of 1 or more laboratory staff.
- PhD with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in nanoparticle synthesis and materials characterization, or post-doctoral training in Chemistry, Materials Science or a related field.
- An independent researcher with product, methodology, and/or technology development experience.
- Proven record of complex experimental design and execution; demonstrated ability to apply appropriate statistical analyses.
- Broad technical expertise and knowledge of a variety of surface chemistry techniques and related polymer chemistries, as well as diverse laboratory techniques of nanomaterials characterization using analytical instrumentation, including TEM, SEM, TGA, FTIR, U-VIS, DLS etc. Proven experience training personnel on laboratory techniques and protocols.
- Skilled presenter to deliver technical summaries of data with critical thinking skills to provide in-depth analytical explanations and interpretations.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of STEMCELL products are considered as assets.
- Authored academic publications including multiple first authorship publications in high impact journals with a proven history of innovation and discovery.
- Established scientific reputation in the relevant field of research of nanoparticle synthesis and materials characterization, and has managed successful external collaborations.
- Experience in the characterization / assessment of nanoparticles, microparticles or colloids of varying composition and size.
- Working knowledge of the requirements to draft business plans, patent applications and related articles in the field of expertise.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management.
- Team orientated –‘one-team’ behavior is a must.
- Proven experience in product or reagent development, preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in the synthesis of nanoparticles and microparticles, preferably magnetic iron oxides.
- Experience working with proteins, antibodies or nucleic acids and related bioconjugation strategies.
- An understanding of biological systems and experience in handling biological samples.
- Proficient using advanced experimental design methodologies and related statistical analysis (e.g. DOE).
- Demonstrated experience and capabilities in the scale-up, process development and technology transfer of reagents from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Experience working under an ISO 13845 Quality Management System and cGMP is an asset.
- Ability to prepare business plans for products in the relevant field of expertise.
- At least 1 year of experience in managing or supervising lab-based staff.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!