Scientist, Cell Culture Media and Cell Line Development
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
This Scientist position is responsible for the development, testing and analysis of cell culture media to support and optimize the culture and productivity of mammalian cell lines such as Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) and human embryonic kidney (HEK) cells. This work will include developing new products, testing existing products, and evaluating competing products, as well as generating mammalian cell lines for production of recombinant proteins. As an in-house expert in developing novel formulations for cell culture, the Scientist will be responsible for reviewing the literature and patent landscape, identifying potential product offerings, designing experiments, performing data analysis and reporting, troubleshooting experiments, and drafting product documentation. The Scientist supervises, mentors, and trains laboratory staff, and provides in-house technical training and technical support to customers, as well as acting as a scientific ambassador for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fully responsible for establishing new products for culturing mammalian cells such as CHO and HEK cells; ensuring quality of experimental design, troubleshooting complex scientific and technical investigations, setting performance criteria, project planning, generating technical documentation, supporting transfer to manufacturing, providing post-product launch support.
- Generate mammalian cell lines for production of recombinant proteins.
- Source and nurture the required internal and external collaborations to execute projects.
- Perform regular literature and intellectual property reviews to identify new technologies and scientific trends, evaluate new technologies, identify customer needs, and monitor competitor activity.
- Seek to generate intellectual property, assist in writing patents.
- Supervise, mentor and train laboratory staff, provide in-house technical training and technical support to customers.
- In collaboration with the Strategic Marketing group, review marketing analyses, product lifecycle management, future trends; draft and present New Product Proposals and business plans.
- Act as a scientific ambassador of the company: deliver high-quality presentations to internal and external audiences, promote the STEMCELL brand and mission, initiate and nurture collaborations, publish abstracts, posters and articles.
- Adhere to the Quality Management System initiatives and requirements.
- May supervise a team of 1 or more laboratory staff.
- PhD (or equivalent) with 0-4 years post-doctoral experience in relevant field, such as cell biology, biotechnology, biochemistry.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in mammalian cell culture techniques and optimization, including cell-based assays, is required.
- Experience in development of cell culture formulations desirable.
- An independent researcher with product, methodology, and/or technology development experience.
- Proven record of complex experimental design and execution, and application of statistical analysis.
- Broad technical expertise and knowledge of diverse laboratory techniques.
- Experience generating mammalian cell lines.
- Strong knowledge of recombinant DNA technology.
- Proven experience training personnel on laboratory techniques and protocols.
- Understanding of biochemistry and metabolic pathways an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; collaborative, team-oriented.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!