Research Associate, Particle Chemistry
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
To support our rapid growth, we have an immediate opening for a Research Associate, Particle Chemistry, with our Research and Development (R&D) department in the Vancouver, Canada office. The successful candidate will be involved in developing and testing of new and existing products, product components, competing products, and platform technologies. They will be expected to independently perform experiments, troubleshoot and optimize performance, conduct data analysis, literature analysis, and provide regular reporting of experimental results within and between teams. In addition, the Research Associate contributes to maintaining and improving the general functioning of the R&D laboratory and conducts all lab work according to the company standards by maintaining accurate written records of laboratory procedures, and drafting technical product documentation.
The ideal candidate has a strong interest in learning and applying new techniques in the areas of particle synthesis, surface chemistry and analytical characterization for product applications including cell separation and identification. The candidate will have good grasp of fundamental chemical and biochemical principles, show ability to organize and plan experiments, and to communicate results effectively across the team through presentations and thoughtful discussion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform a variety of specialized lab procedures including particle synthesis, purification, characterization, protein conjugation, fluorescence techniques, cell separation procedures
- Design experiments with input from supervisor, including establishing novel techniques
- Analyze data and perform calculations independently
- Troubleshoot experiments, identify abnormal or unexpected trends in data
- Present data at R&D data meetings, provide conclusions, and future plans
- Perform literature reviews and track competitors, discuss relevance to product design with supervisor
- Author technical documents, drafts of scientific abstracts and marketing materials for review
- Provide training on laboratory/product protocols to lab and sales staff
- Work with external collaborators to gain access to analytical instrumentation and/or contract analytical services; perform work on these instruments as required
- Assist with maintaining lab functionality (e.g. inventory, waste disposal, safety measures)
- MSc in Chemistry (or related area) or a BSc with equivalent scientific knowledge and experience (typically >4 years related experience in industry)
- Strong understanding of fundamental chemistry and biochemistry topics
- Experience in experimental methods (synthesis, characterization, chemical assays)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings. Ability to present and deliver high level technical summaries of scientific data.
- Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment – a team player
- Hands-on experience with particle synthesis, bioconjugation, such as the preparation of protein conjugates, fluorescent dye conjugates, PEGylation, or experience in purification of nanomaterials or biomolecules
- Experience in several of the following techniques: Mass spectrometry (GC-MS or HPLC-MS), confocal microscopy, TGA, DLS, sizing methods, TEM, SEM, UV-Vis and fluorescent spectroscopy, polarization, lifetime, Raman spectroscopy, ELISA and colorimetric assays, gel electrophoresis, NMR, elemental analysis, FTIR, SPR, column purification, TLC, HPLC, SEC.
- Preferably >2 years of relevant experience performing independent laboratory experiments and research in an academic or industry setting of the related field
- Practical experience using a variety of laboratory techniques such as tissue processing, cell isolation, flow cytometry, molecular biology techniques, and microscopy
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management and Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Experience with the statistical analysis of data sets, organized data and plotting of figures
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities. If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding position, please apply.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!