Research Associate, Bioengineering
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
The Research Associate, Bioengineering is responsible for testing new and existing products, product components, competing products and platform technologies for the assigned Team(s) within the Research and Development (R&D) department at STEMCELL.
As an in-house expert, the Research Associate will independently design, perform and troubleshoot experiments with appropriate controls, conduct data analysis, maintain accurate written records of laboratory procedures, provide regular reporting of experimental results, contribute to technical product documentation, literature reviews and experimental design including alternative read-outs. This role contributes to the general functioning of the R&D laboratory and conducts all lab work according to company standards.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for designing and executing experiments with input from supervisor, including establishing novel methods and techniques
- Responsible for programming automated pipetting robots and other laboratory automation devices
- Perform rigorous statistical data analysis and calculations independently
- Assist in the design and implementation of high throughput screening experiments and factorial optimization experiments using laboratory automation
- Assist in the design and prototyping of novel devices for cell culture and cell separation
- Troubleshoot experiments and identify abnormal or unexpected trends in data
- Present data at R&D data meetings, provide conclusions and future plans
- Track competitor activity, discuss relevance with supervisor
- Source new product components and technologies, and discuss findings with supervisor
- Contribute to the preparation of technical documentation for the product line(s)
- Perform literature and patent reviews; discuss relevance to product design with supervisor
- Provide training on laboratory techniques and product protocols to lab and Sales staff; may supervise a Co-op student
- Provide technical support for other departments as needed
- Support Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and adhere to QMS requirements
- Occasional weekend work (Saturday and/or Sunday) will be required
- Minimum MASc in Chemical, Mechanical, or Biomedical Engineering
- At least 1-2 years of relevant experience performing independent laboratory experiments and research in an industry setting, in a field related to STEMCELL products
- Working knowledge of 3D design and 3D printing of prototypes
- Mammalian cell culture experience and skills are desired
- Experience using a number of laboratory techniques such as tissue processing, cell isolation, flow cytometry, molecular biology techniques, and microscopy are desirable
- Experience with statistical analyses of biological data is required
- Ability to apply critical and analytical thinking to independently design, conduct, analyze and troubleshoot experiments
- Knowledge of STEMCELL products is not an absolute requirement but highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group setting; ability to present and deliver high level technical summaries of scientific data
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management
- Team orientated – ‘one-team’ behaviors is a must
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.