Research Associate, Bioengineering
Job Description Summary
A Research Associate in Bioengineering is responsible for testing new and existing products, product components, competing products and platform technologies for the assigned Team in the Research and Development (R&D) department.
As an in-house expert, this role involves independently designing, performing and troubleshooting experiments with appropriate controls, conducting data analysis, maintaining accurate written records of laboratory procedures, providing regular reporting of experimental results, drafting technical product documentation, performing literature reviews and developing experimental designs to meet product design criteria. This role contributes to the general functioning of the R&D laboratory and conducts all lab work according to the company standards. As a member of the BioEngineering Team you will apply your engineering expertise to current challenges in cell separation, cell culture and tissue processing. We are particularly interested in highly creative individuals who can apply engineering design principles to complex biological systems.
Significant hands-on laboratory time will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and execute experiments in alignment with the product design criteria, including establishing novel methods and techniques.
- Source and validate new product components and technologies.
- Perform data analysis and calculations independently; obtain input on statistical analyses; analyze, interpret and evaluate complex problems based on a variety of factors; and provide input for the next steps in the experimental design.
- Troubleshoot experiments and identify abnormal or unexpected trends in data; offer suggestions of the root cause(s).
- Present data at R&D data meetings, and provide conclusions and future plans.
- Track competitor activity and discuss relevance with the Team.
- Prepare data summaries and draft technical documentation as requested.
- Perform literature and patent reports to identify new product and IP development opportunities as well as design constraints and methodology improvements.
- Provide training on laboratory techniques and product protocols to internal staff.
- Provide technical support to other departments as needed.
- Support Quality Management System (QMS) initiatives and adhere to the QMS requirements, including maintenance of a detailed and accurate laboratory notebook.
- Occasional weekend work (Saturday and/or Sunday) may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MASc in BioMedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related area.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience performing independent laboratory experiments and research in an industry setting of the related field (desired).
- Practical experience in cell culture and cytometry is required.
- Experience with SolidWorks, 3D printing, image processing and microfluidics is highly desired.
- Practical experience using a variety of laboratory techniques such as tissue processing, cell isolation, flow cytometry, and microscopy is required.
- Proven experience with statistical analyses of biological data.
- Ability to apply critical and analytical thinking to independently design, conduct, analyze and troubleshoot experiments.
- Knowledge of STEMCELL products is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings. Ability to present and deliver high level technical summaries of scientific data.
- Detail-oriented and proficient at time management.
- Team orientated – ‘one-team’ behavior is a must.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!