Quality Control Analyst, Pluripotent Stem Cells
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
Job Description Summary
Currently, we have an opening for a QC Analyst, Pluripotent Stem Cells in our Quality Control Department, for the Vancouver office. The QC Analyst is responsible for testing of finished products, in-process products and raw materials, including all analysis and documentation. May also perform experiments related to troubleshooting, stability testing and other product-related issues. Due to the nature of the testing conducting, periodic weekend work is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of cell based and analytical assays to evaluate STEMCELL products according to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Specialized tissue culture assays and techniques may include: functional assays, maintenance and differentiation assays, immunostaining, microscopy, morphological assessment, and flow cytometry. Depending on the team specialization, may involve working with a variety of tissue types including human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Perform assays to screen and select raw materials for a variety of finished products
- Media and reagent preparation for conducting any assay as described
- Participate in the development or improvement of QC testing procedures, including writing or revising SOPs and working documents or templates
- Design and perform experiments for product-related issues which may include assay optimization, validation, stability, customer complaints, and troubleshooting
- Analyze data and accurately complete QC testing reports using good documentation practices
- Apply a quality mindset and critical thinking skills to all aspects of work conducted
- Investigate and document out-of-specification results and non-conformances to support and maintain Quality Systems requirements
- Periodic weekend work may be required
- BSc or MSc in Biology, Biochemistry or Immunology or relevant area with emphasis on Cell Biology
- Minimum 2 years lab-based work experience
- Excellent laboratory skills including aseptic technique
- Experience with cell culture and flow cytometry is highly desirable
- Ability to work with precision and accuracy
- Excellent attention-to-detail and record-keeping skills
- Demonstrate initiative and critical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with ISO 13485 standards, Quality Systems and writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team setting
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.