Project Cost Control Specialist
Job Description Summary
As a Project Cost Control Specialist, your primary responsibility is to support Total Cost Control oversight of a large scale, multi-million dollar program for the future STEMCELL Advanced Biologics Manufacturing Facility. Reporting to the Senior Project Services Lead, you will also be contributing to other Control disciplines, such as the Schedule Control, as required. If you have extensive experience in program / project cost management and knowledge of project controls functions in engineering, procurement, and/or construction components of large capital projects, this is the right opportunity for you!
As a member of the Project Services Team, the Project Cost Control Specialist plays a critical role in ensuring:
- Projects are executed predictably and efficiently;
- Capital and Expense plans and forecasts are frequently monitored and accurate;
- Cost variance analysis is conducted, so that risks and issues are proactively identified and mitigated;
- Project Steering Committees and leadership teams have the information required to make appropriate management decisions;
- Program Project Managers have the required information to deliver the program deliverables within the approved parameters of the project scope, cost and schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Total Cost Control guidance, governance and support functions on assigned projects.
- Maintain, refine and streamline the Cost Control (CC) work processes.
- Coordinate and facilitate the Estimate Assurance (EA) reviews on cost estimates for capital projects.
- Provide support to the Program Project Managers and the Project Services Team on how costs should be planned, tracked, measured, forecasted and reported during project execution and/or development. Manage continuous and collaborative communication with the teams to address project cost related needs.
- Create cost reports and forecast costs to completion with routine reviews of cost/cash flow forecasts with the Program Project Managers and extended project team to generate regular reporting requirements and ensuring the cash flow is accurate.
- Maintain cost planning, tracking and reporting tools.
- Provide planned and ad-hoc Cost Control related analysis
- Produce monthly project report (Dashboard) and forecast data package with major risks and opportunities identified. Main tasks include: Actual cost validation, Commitment cost validation, Estimate to Complete (ETC) validation and control check. Highlight risk warnings when identified (cost deviation).
- Develop project specific WBS, CBS and develop control estimate/budget.
- Assist the Project Services Team and Program Project Managers with setup, documentation and change administration.
- Keep updated change log register, control site instructions, change order requests and change orders.
- Actively participate in project meetings to understand and become familiar with changes in project status in order to provide assistance in the areas of cost.
- Work in an integrated fashion with other members of the Project Services team.
- Support adjacent project management disciplines such as Schedule Control, Change Control, Quantity Surveying, Progress and Performance Measurement, and Risk Management.
- Perform special project assignments as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university, preferably in Business Administration, Engineering or Construction Management.
- Completion of a Certified Cost Engineer (AACE's CCC/ CCE) or Project Management Professional credential (PMP) is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in performing project cost management and project controls functions in engineering, procurement, and/or construction components of large capital projects.
- Experience in developing, enhancing and implementing cost management and control standards.
- Experience in using and enhancing cost controls tools and associated systems.
- Familiarity with Progress and Performance Management and Change Management Processes.;
- Ability to effectively prioritize a heavy workload, bringing forward well-developed recommendations to the Project Management Team.
- Thorough understanding of change management and cost trending.
- Expert understanding of best management practices for project control, forecasting and reporting.
- Ability to work independently and with guidance for escalated, highly complex situations.
- Ability to question and not be satisfied with the status quo.
- Willingness to learn and assume new responsibilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship building capabilities.
- Able to foster an atmosphere of collaborative teamwork among peers.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Self-motivated and independent work ethic -- a self starter.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Adaptable within a growing and changing environment.
- Highly flexible, good tolerance for ambiguity and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Confident, results-oriented.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!