Work at STEMCELL
Explore the exciting career paths at STEMCELL, which include competitive benefits and opportunities to achieve your full potential with growth-driven training and development.
Program Manager, Research & Development
Job Description Summary
The Program Manager in the Research and Development (R&D) department has a track record of assuming increasing responsibilities to lead and manage the successful development, implementation and execution of a centralized service delivery model for cross-departmental teams. This role oversees and enables the on-time achievement of corporate and department goals and results for the assigned programs / projects through effective, high quality operational services and support.
The Program Manager has an in-depth understanding of all aspects related to product development, commercialization, and life-cycle management. Working closely with the scientific and operational program leaders and their team members, this role proactively evaluates program scope, budget and strategic importance to effectively plan and administer the required program / project management activities. This role requires a forward-thinking mindset to anticipate and plan ahead for solutions and contingencies that are aligned and effectively communicated across diverse groups.
- Provide management oversight in successfully delivering the services and support to key stakeholders of the assigned programs / projects.
- Ensure the delivery of effective and high quality service for compliance, process implementation, quality assurance, data management, and risk management.
- Evaluate and prioritize agenda items for recurring meetings to meet program timelines and deliverables; ensure actions and decisions are clearly documented and communicated. Chair or facilitate regular team meetings with the program leaders as needed.
- Work with the direct manager and other senior department designates on continuous improvements to ensure that the R&D service delivery model(s) is scalable and positioned for departmental growth (process, people, and place).
- Provide executive reporting as required: program progress, potential risks and gaps, opportunities for improvement, mitigation and contingency plans, business cases, etc.
- Develop and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs) for the assigned programs and the overall service delivery model; refine as needed.
- Serve as a lead custodian for data management and quality that impacts the direction for the programs by managing, tracking and keeping all databases current related to product development, life-cycle management, and risk mitigation.
- Drive communications and transparency / awareness of the programs with cross-functional project teams and internal stakeholders.
- Implement and maintain company standards and industry best practices for planning, tracking, documenting, and reporting program / project activities.
- Organize, direct and manage all phases of cross-functional projects from initial team formation and project planning (inception) to successful completion on-time and on-budget.
- Facilitate the creation and maintenance of project plans (objectives, design, schedule, budget, risks etc.).
- Assemble and coordinate project team members and assign individual responsibilities to provide role clarity to team members on project tasks and schedule.
- Plan, organize, integrate, and deliver cross-functional projects that are significant in scope and impact, and manage multiple projects simultaneously utilizing corporate Project Management Office (PMO) community of practice processes and tools as well as agile methodologies.
- Support and champion the corporate project management methodology and guide its application for all projects.
- Consult with project sponsors and senior managers to clearly define project scope, priorities, and resources.
- Responsible for stakeholder management and communication to facilitate the adoption of change management across all participating groups.
- Prepare and oversee the preparation and dissemination of project communications to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Guide and perform strategic analysis for the projects including risk mitigation.
Team Leadership & Management
- Lead, manage and support the teams to maximize productivity and performance.
- Responsible for driving career development to increase individual and team capabilities. Serve as a role model in coaching, mentoring and developing staff.
- Build and maintain a positive, collaborative and supportive workplace culture.
- Ensure staff adhere to all corporate, legal and regulatory compliance obligations, policies and procedures.
- BSc degree in a scientific field preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant experience required that includes 3-5 years of program/project management experience in life sciences or biotechnology industry.
- Enrolment in PMP certification course is an asset.
- Demonstrated track record of managing and implementing processes and/or projects in a matrix environment; experience in managing varying complex programs with multiple, concurrent workstreams.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, manage, and coordinate the operations of the program; must be able to assess competing priorities and meet operational deadlines.
- Proven ability to mobilize, motivate and guide the team(s) towards a common vision and set of objectives; strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively and gains cooperation of others across functional teams.
- Experience leading, managing, and developing direct reports is desirable.
- Demonstrated creative and analytical approach to issues – a problem solver.
- Highly flexible, good tolerance for ambiguity and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to manage multiple projects and tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and/or Google Productivity tools; practical experience of database management.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- Team orientated – ‘one-team’ behavior is a must.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!