Job Description SummarySTEMCELL Technologies, Canada’s largest Biotech company, is on a path of accelerated growth and we are looking for a Director, Distribution to help us transform and build out our global Distribution function. This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate and collaborative leader with a continuous improvement mindset to be a key change agent and have an immense impact on our global operations.
The Director, Distribution, is responsible for ensuring the continued efficient and effective operations of all STEMCELL Distribution Centers, Material Handling Operations, and Third Party Storage and/or Fulfillment Service Providers. This includes ensuring that the right footprint, capabilities and global organizational structure for Distribution is in place, and the right people and skill levels are available to manage and support the operations. The Director, Distribution is also responsible for short and long term planning to ensure that Distribution Operations can cost effectively scale up to meet the growth and business demands of the company well into the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives long term planning to ensure that staff, facility, equipment and infrastructure growth are clearly defined in a roadmap. This includes establishing and maintaining a globally aligned distribution network
- Drives continuous improvement, including deploying automation wherever practical and feasible, to ensure the continued effectiveness and efficiency of all Distribution operations. This includes planning for long term facility requirements, an optimal global footprint and network, and appropriate storage and material handling solutions to meet volume increases
- Develop business cases supporting investment recommendations for facilities, equipment, and staffing
- Ensures that the Corporate Safety Program, and other specific best practice warehouse safety requirements are established and followed
- Ensures that all Facility Security and Supply Chain Security requirements are effectively implemented and followed at all facilities
- Ensures that an effective leadership structure is in place, including Senior Managers, Managers, and Supervisors, for all operations and support functions
- Ensures that all Distribution and Material Handling operations are staffed appropriately, have the right tools and equipment, and are receiving all needed support to meet day-to-day business demands and deliver exceptional results
- Directly manages Senior Distribution leaders. Lead, manage, coach, develop and evaluate direct reports through regular one-on-one and team meetings; conduct and document performance reviews
- Establishes and maintains Key Performance Metrics to ensure that all operations are functioning effectively and delivering needed results
- Implements and ensures that standard operating procedures are followed. Ensures that all Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures are followed, and requirements are met
- Ensures that appropriate and effective communication channels are open with critical internal customers, including but not limited to, Sales and Customer Service, Business Operations, Procurement, Distribution Planning, Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Represents Distribution in applicable corporate programs, such as end-to-end workflow management, and on projects and initiatives being led by other functional groups within the company
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a Supply Chain discipline
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a Distribution Operations leadership role, preferably with global reach
- Experience working with SAP, including Process Weaver, an asset
- Cold chain experience preferred - frozen and chilled
- Strong leadership, organizational, writing, time management, communication and professional relationship building skills are essential
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, effectively contribute to cross department collaborations and communications
- Ability to contribute to continuous improvement of processes (Lean Six Sigma certification an asset)
- Strong understanding of, and experience in the application of Quality Management Systems, including writing Policies, Work Instructions, Standard Operating Procedures, and other QMS documentation
- Must be willing to travel internationally to the U.S., Europe and Asia (10-15%)
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative, and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and meaningful career development opportunities.
STEMCELL is well recognized for exceptional leadership and business practices. We are one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies and operate an ISO 14001-certified environmental management system to measure and reduce our environmental impact.
As an equal opportunity employer, STEMCELL is dedicated to ensuring that every employee feels safe, valued, and respected for who they are. We know that scientific progress and innovation occur when diverse, creative minds come together and we are committed to nurturing a culture of inclusivity and belonging. STEMCELL enforces a zero-tolerance policy for any form of discrimination. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
NOTE: STEMCELL’s vaccination policy requires that all candidates for this role be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including boosters), as currently recommended or required by local health authorities and public health orders, unless an exemption from this policy is approved through our accommodation request process.
To apply, please select the “Apply” button below. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account, which is required to apply.