Job Description SummaryThe STEMCELL Group of Companies (SGC) is searching for a proven individual to lead day-to-day IT operations for our Canventa Life Sciences team based in Emeryville CA, and support SGC staff in our branch and home offices across the United States.
As a member of the Information Systems Operations group, you will be responsible for day-to-day operations and support of cloud-based apps and tools, engaging with business teams to understand and advocate-for their needs, and working with your global colleagues to implement and maintain new tools and systems.
This is a diverse role that is well suited for an individual with strong general technical knowledge, great interpersonal and communication skills, and a proactive attitude. This role should appeal to those who enjoy a broad variety of tasks, and wish to develop skills leading towards a team management role in the future.
This role is accountable to the General Manager for Canventa Life Sciences, and reports to the Manager, IT Operations (based in Canada). This position is based in our office in Emeryville, California, and includes quarterly travel to other branch offices in the United States (Seattle, Boston).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive, troubleshoot and resolve issues and requests for SGC staff.
- Own IT operations and performance for US-based offices. Collaborate with your global SGC colleagues to ensure that IT services are reliable, responsive and secure for all global staff. This includes shared accountability for key service levels.
- Advocate-for the IT needs of SGC business teams, ensuring apps and IT services meet the expectations of our staff
- Embed into corporate project teams to support delivery of new tools, applications and facility expansions. Take responsibility for the operations & sustainment once launched
- Build and manage relationships with local suppliers and service providers
- Support, maintain and improve-upon our cloud-based applications and shared-services. This includes monitoring and responding to system notifications, and taking proactive action to improve performance & minimize outages
- Work with the IS Security team to safeguard SGC employees and systems by promoting and maintain information security practices
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of IT global standards and practice. Lead improvements to systems & processes
- As required, respond to emergencies and system failures including after-hours problems. Proactively plan and perform regular scheduled maintenance to reduce unplanned downtime
- Assist with budget, lifecycle and goal planning
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years of experience in the IT field, including demonstrated experience leading resolution of complex problems
- Well-rounded knowledge across a wide-breadth of technology, including proven hands-on experience
- Work experience in a regulated industry like Life Sciences, Health care, Pharma or Finance would be a strong asset
- Degree or diploma in a technology-related discipline, or a mix of industry certifications
- Experience supporting cloud-based apps & tools hosted. The STEMCELL Group has strong partnerships with AWS and Google Workspaces; demonstrated experience with these platforms would be an asset
- Working knowledge of Windows, Chrome and Mac OS and related management tools an asset
- Active interest in cyber security, and a motivation to learn about new technologies
- Strong organizational and time management skills accompanied by good judgment in order to prioritize, manage and work with limited guidance in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Thrive in a high paced environment with multiple competing priorities. This role requires flexibility, with tolerance for ambiguity
- Strong communication & customer service skills. You will work directly with STEMCELL Group staff to run and support apps/tools to meet their needs
- Curiosity to seek new and better ways of doing things, generating original and imaginative ideas, products or solutions
- Confident, creative and results-oriented individual; leads by example and demonstrates a ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to work & travel within the United States
- Ability to question and not always be satisfied with the status quo.
- Willingness to learn and assume new responsibilities.
- Strong interpersonal, communications (verbal and written; listening) and collaborative skills to build and maintain positive relationships with a variety of professional, technical and non-technical staff.
- Self-motivated and independent work ethic.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Exemplify values of trust, integrity and ethics.
Canventa Life Sciences is a company focused on the collection and processing of donated blood and bone marrow specimens into samples that are immediately used by researchers worldwide, increasing access to biologically relevant samples and accelerating the pace of research.
This role requires vaccination against COVID-19 as per the current recommendations by local health authorities, including any COVID-19 boosters as recommended by local health authorities and where available.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!