Early Stage Researcher
Job Description Summary
STEMCELL is continuing to expand its European operations, particularly in the areas of R&D personnel and facilities, manufacturing, quality control, quality assurance and regulatory activities that will meet the highest levels of European research and regular standards. STEMCELL UK Ltd. (STUK) was established in July 2014. In 2016 STUK expanded its capabilities to include research and development (R&D) with staff located in laboratory space in Cambridge, UK, including fully functional laboratory space containing state of the art cell culture and analytical chemistry equipment as well as an ISO 13485-certified manufacturing clean room that is adopting single use technology and closed systems for manufacturing higher compliance media and culture reagents.
In this context we have a new opportunity for a 3-year position as an Early Stage Researcher at STEMCELL UK being funded by the OrganoVir Innovative Training Programme.
Project title: Develop and validate specific medium for human lung organoid culture (ESR 5)
Host institution: STEMCELL Technologies UK Ltd. Cambridge, UK
Project description: This project focuses on lung organoid culture and its application to respiratory virus study. During this project, you will be focusing on the following research objectives:
- Develop medium for human distal lung organoid culture
- Functional validation of the distal lung organoids (e.g., characterization of effects of virus infection on these lung organoids)
- Upscaling the production of lung organoid medium
This project also includes a six-month secondment with Department of Medical Microbiology, Amsterdam University Medical Canters (Amsterdam UMC) focusing on virus study.
You will be guided during your research project by Juan Hou (Pulmonary research specialist at STEMCELL Technologies Vancouver) and Wing Chang (Pluripotent Stem cell specialist at STEMCELL Technologies UK).
- Have a recent Master degree or equivalent research experience in the field of biochemistry, cell biology or stem cell biology
- Hands on experience with cell culturing/in vitro biology obtained during or after undergraduate studies is required
- Interest and experience in hPSC culture and organoid technology is an advantage
- Proficient in the English language with excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
- Flexible, independent and pro-active
- Real team player with great team spirit
- Problem-solving and organizational skills
- Highly accurate with attention to detail
- Have obtained high grades during her/his studies
- Fulfil the eligibility criteria for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (MSCA) training network H2020:
1) Early-stage researchers (ESR) are those who are, at the time of recruitment by the host institution, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate was envisaged.
2) Conditions of international mobility of researchers: Researchers are required to undertake trans-national mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up the appointment. At the time of selection by the host institution, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
For further information on the requirements, please visit: https://organovir.com/recruitment/
Location: Cambridge Research Park Waterbeach, UK
Start date: 1 September, 2019 (3-year research position)
Salary: £33-43K per annum
Closing Date for applications: 26 April, 2019
NO AGENTS OR CALLERS
About Organovir:Organovir is an Innovative Training Network (ITN) that focuses on the use of organoid technology for viral pathogenesis studies and anti-viral testing. For this ITN we will provide 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) with the opportunity to be trained within a consortium of public and private experts that will enable them to lead innovation in the field of organoids for virus research. The starting date of the research projects is 1st of September 2019.
As an ESR with Organovir, you will be able to familiarize yourself not only with the scientific and technical aspects of innovative 3D culture systems for virus research, but also with the financial, commercial, ethical, communicative, policy and dissemination aspects enabling optimal valorisation of organoids. At the end of this project, you will hold a unique position within the European labour market.
Within Organovir research will be done in the areas of virology, organoid technology, science ethics, communications and business. Organovir is therefore looking for talented and motivated ESRs with a Master degree or equivalent research experiences in various disciplines depending on the research project you want to apply for (see vacancies for requirements).
We offer challenging research projects that will lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis) at high profile universities, research institutions and companies located in the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Poland, Denmark, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. You can find more information about Organovir and all the research projects on the OrganoVir website.
STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 1000 science-oriented employees globally, including 250 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in Canada.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
To apply please select the apply button. You will then be directed to a login screen asking you to set up an account. You must set up an account in order to apply.
Create an account by selecting the create account button. You will then be asked for your email and to create a password. Your Password must be eight characters long, contain at least one special character, one capital letter, and a number.Once you have created your password you will be asked to upload your resume. Uploading your resume will provide the ability to auto-populate your application with information from your resume. If you prefer to manually complete all of the fields in the application you can do this by clicking next. You can upload your cover letter as an attachment in the attachments screen. Thank you for your interest in STEMCELL!